This week’s show is dedicated to change and specifically, Gleicher’s formula for change. This seems like a perfect topic to discuss at the beginning of 2017. We are talking about making a change, and all of the reasons we have for not making one. So exciting!
- Every new year we are imbibed with new hope
- And with that hope often comes the desire for change
- The formula for change according to Gleicher
- (Vision X Discomfort) + First Steps> Resistance(Ambivalence)=Change
- We explain each section of the formula and what matters in each part of the equation. We also discuss a key component that is missing.
- So the first part, vision:
- You can’t truly have a no if you don’t have a “yes”
- We often say what we don’t want but we aren’t clear of what we do want
- Next, discomfort (aka suffering). The basic premise here is that we can come to our change through suffering or at least enough of it to “force” a change
- We can be pushed by discomfort or pulled by a vision
- And then FS or first steps. This is where it can really start to fall apart.
- Charles Duhigg’s book The Power of Habit is a good one to review to support our continued steps
- And last but not least, Resistance or what Daphne likes to call ambivalence.
- We have reasons to change and reasons to stay the same.
What has worked well for you when you’ve wanted to make a change? What do you think of the formula and how it applies to making change stick in our lives?